This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 1 month ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     speters72
    Participant

Hello,

I’m using the Ni-MH C 24 V 4500mAh battery pack and I’m having trouble getting it to charge up to the full 24 volts. To charge it I’m using the Smart Charger for 19.2-24v NiMH/NiCd battery packs. It will charge up to just about 21 volts and then stop charging, even if I leave it there for 24 hours. Also, when I do a test to see how it can drive one of my DC geared motors (1G320027-609 S2R), the motor will turn for a few seconds and then stall. It seems that the all the current is drained quickly. The voltage of the battery then drops instantly to about 18 volts.

I’m not sure if it’s the battery pack or the smart charger is defective.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any suggestions on how to solve this problem.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Hi. The motors stalling out is likely because the battery has no juice at all. It may be that the battery has a bad cell, but its more likely that the charger is acting up. The only real way to know who the culprit is to have a spare charger and spare battery and swap around until you figure out what component is faulty. Is the charger light staying red during the entire charge process?

speters72
    Participant

Thanks for your help on this.
    No. The charger light is off the entire time. I haven’t seen it go on since I bought it. I guess it could be the charger. The battery was driving the motors just fine before it needed charging and I built the robot in June 2014, which is when I also bought the charger. I don’t know why it would be bad I’ve only tried to use it a few times with no results. Should I purchase a new one?
    The charger makes a buzzing sound when it’s charging, but no light.

Additional info: the way I tested it is by touching the red and black battery wires directly to the motor terminals. The motor runs for a few seconds and then stalls, and then the battery voltage drops. Next, I take the wires off the motor terminals and measure the battery voltage with a volt meter and I see the voltage gradually start increasing again. Weird.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Depending on the battery charger, a light should come on… I would bet that is your issue.

A battery is a chemical reaction, the voltage will always rebound a little after the load is removed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account