This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 4 months ago by kenet3621.

• Author
     kenet3621
    Participant

I was given a Shoprider wheelchair Model 888WA. It has a Shark 40 joystick and controller and is a 24 volt hookup.
    I have done lots of Youtube and Google searches and to convert this to an Radio Controlled robot seems to only involve these few steps;

1) remove joystick and controller
    2) buy a Sabertooth 2×32 motor controller $125
    3) buy an 4 channel RC transmitter and receiver $75
    this should allow forward, reverse, left and right controls
    4) hook up all components as shown in Superdroid documentation
    4) modify the chassis as necessary

My question “is it really this simple to build a robot?”
    All help, tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     kenet3621
    Participant

Part Two of this project (once I get RC control) working would be;

1) Wi-Fi connectivity
    2) Video transmission from robot to computer
    3) Program control via computer

So while I am buying parts should I get the Kangaroo? I don’t really understand yet what that does.

Thanks for helping!

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

In principle is really is that simple… You just need to hook the motors to the motor controller and your off to the races. A 2×32 should be strong enough, a 2×60 might be a better choice if you are going to really load it up and run it a lot. We saw 130Amps using our wheel chair motors. The sabertooth plugs right into the receiver with a couple pigtails (TE-040-001).

The part where it sometimes loses its simplicity is having issues noise, etc. Ferrite beads are alway a good idea. I don’t know what radio you are looking at for $75, the least expensive we have is a Spectrum DX5 for $109. A good radio is important, don’t use the old 75MHz analog radios, you will be cursing it and the motor noise will cause all sorts of issues.

Once you have the RC working, rolling over to WiFi, etc is possible using the same motor controller, etc. Either you simulate a RC signal with your micro controller or the better approach is using packetized serial mode, which is just changing the mode switches on the sabertooth. We have a programmable Wi-Fi package, and if you want we can make it so it has RC override, so you can still use the RC to drive it.

kenet3621
    Participant

Two more questions…

I received my Sabertooth and Spectrum DX5 but already I am a bit confused on hooking up the Hitec Male Plug to the receiver.

1) I cannot figure out the direction to place the plug. Looking at the receiver with AR610 facing me should the plug be from top to bottom as Orange, Red, Brown? Looking at the Sabertooth documentation, the picture on page 19 (a different receiver) shows the connections to be top to bottom as Brown, Red, Orange.
    2) It also looks like I need at least two of the Hitec Male Plug in connectors (one hooked to elevator and the other to alerion. Should I also buy enough of these connectors for each channel on the receiver? I do plan on other functions for the robot down the road.

The attached photo shows how my one connector is hooked up.

Please advise before I connect to the Sabertooth.

Again many thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Hi. The picture you have attached is correct. The orange is the signal, noted by the square wave simple. The red is +5V. The brown is ground. You plug the ground the +5V into the sabertooth and the orange into S1 and you will need another orange going into S2. You technically only need one wire per channel, you do not need to run power and ground on each channel. actually its ill advised, because you will have multiple ground paths, which could cause issues. You can still use the jumper, just don’t attach the ground or 5V to the sabertooth. only one power source and ground path to the receiver…

kenet3621
    Participant

I can now say it “really is this simple to build a robot.” My first phase is complete and I took the converted wheelchair for a spin in the street yesterday. It is super. Many thanks to SuperDroid for the help! More to come.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account