This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 4 months ago by Jacob Beard.

• Author
     Jacob Beard
    Participant

Hello, this is Jacob Beard. I am currently working on my senior design project with my team at LSU and I was hoping someone here could help me. I need a track set that is 1 foot long and 8 inches in diameter. Is it possible to acquire these specific tracks from this company? I called earlier and I was referred to ask my questions on this website. If it is not possible to get both the wheels and tracks, I can always 3D print my wheels to fit this company’s axle design and tread design, but I really need treads made as I can only 3D print metals or plastics. Additional information is that I am customizing my own motor mount to attach to the IG32 Right Angle motor provided by this company, SDR as well as using the axles and bearings from this company. The dimensions for the tracks are very tight and the tip of tracks from top to bottom cannot exceed 4.2 inches.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Custom tracks are very very expensive. A mold charge will be required, etc. The only thing we have is listed here, in which you have to splice the track to length and make your own cleats, etc. for tracking. https://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/category.aspx/diy-wheels-tracks-and-treads/162/

Jacob Beard
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I see how it would be seemingly infeasibly to create my own mold and I would probably gravitate towards 3D printing rather than paying for a specific mold. However, I am still not quite sure that my project would require a new mold. Please correct this following thought process if you see an error:

According to this link, https://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx/sst2-pair-of-molded-spliceless-tracks-and-wheel-set/2088/. I can request a specific size of tread that would theoretically accommodate my 1′ bot length. After doing so, I could theoretically 3D Print either metal or plastic wheels (or using my university’s CNC machine) and adjust the spokes of my desired 8″ manufactured OD wheels to correctly match the pitch and # of timing wholes designated by this specific track mold. Then, also being sure to have the correct structure on inside surface of the wheels, I can appropriate this company’s bearings and axles to effectively connect my track and wheels to the motor.

Are there any flaws with this process? Can it theoretically be done? Thank you for your time!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account