This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 1 month ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     Leo B
    Participant

Have two 4 pole wheelchair motors. They are 24 volt brushed DC motors. Can I use a sabertooth 60amp controller for these and if so how are they wired in. Thanks.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

If its a 4 pole motor, then no you can not use the sabertooth. Its doubtful you you have 4 pole motor tough. 2 of the “poles” are probably the brushes just like any other DC permanent magnet motor, the other 2 “poles” are probably the electric brakes. In which case the sabertooth can be used. The sabertooth manual details how to hook up the brakes to the motor controller. We typically just remove the brakes, because they are more of a pain than a help, but it depends on the application.

Wyldhunt
    Participant

If this is the first time that you’ve used wheelchair motors, take note of the brake system.
    In most wheelchair motors, the brakes are Normally Closed. Thus, the brakes are released by applying voltage to the brake system. That throws a lot of people at first.
    There are usually 2 wires that are the same color (Often white). Those would be the brakes. The other 2 (Probably red and black) control the motor itself.

bdeuell
    Participant

Please correct me if I am wrong but i believe the number of poles in a motor refers to the stator windings or magnets as opposed to the number of wires. i.e. a 4 pole PMDC motor would have 2 sets of magnets and a corresponding 2 sets of brushes. The brushes would likely be wired together internally such that there would be only two wires to connect the coils to the motor controller. A 4 pole motor would be controlled in the same way a 2 pole motor would be. Whether or not the motor and motor controler mentioned above are compatible depends on the stall and operating current specs of the motor and controller.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

IF it is truly a 4 pole motor that is correct. However, most wheel chair motors are NOT 4 pole, they are brushed permanent magnet motors, which only have the two brushes and the other 2 would be brakes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account