This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     wahwah
    Participant

I have a 2 axis hall effect joystick and need to control 2- 50A locked rotor, 12V motors with Sabertooth duel 60A part # RB-Dim-44
    Each axis is
    0V full reverse
    Centre idle 2.5V
    5V full forward
    If I loose control voltage to joystick Sabertooth will loose its mind
    Can I and how do I program around this for safety

Maybe example:
    Set .2V max full reverse
    2.5V centre Idle
    5V full forward
    0V stop
    I have DesCribe 3.5v software
    How should I set this up and do I need any resisters, and where should they go
    OR:
    If I set.2V as full reverse and loose control voltage will it just stop????

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

The safest way and easiest way it to use a programmable controller in the middle. If you use something like the Arduino UNO you can read the analogs in and output serial commands out to the sabertooth. Then you could program in responses for things like lost joystick control, etc. Driving straight to the sabertooth is possible and will work fine, but being able to handle a joystick failure is going to be difficult at best…

wahwah
    Participant

So analog input mode takes one or two analog inputs from joystick to (Arduino Uno R3) and uses those to set the speed and direction of the motor??
    The valid input range of Sabertooth 2/60A is 0v to 5v.
    So the (Arduino Uno R3) takes the analog 0v to 5v analog in from 2-axis joystick and will output a PWM Via (Arduino Uno R3) to 2/60a Sabertooth motor controller??
    Is an RC filter or anything required to make this work??

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

it would be best to control the sabertooth with packetized serial mode based on the analog inputs. then you will have to program fault handling cases for your joystick. This is only a suggestion. you can run straight to the sabertooth, but i don’t know of any way to handle a bad joystick reading this way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account