This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     Katie
    Participant

Anyone have any input? I have opened up the motor and it seems easy to replace (loosen two set screws and slide it out) but was wondering if anyone has done this before? I want to do this to replace the drive shaft with a longer drive shaft. Trying to eliminate parts by getting rid of couplers and axles.

Thanks!

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

The shaft can be removed fairly easily. On most of the motors its just a C-Clip and then the 4 screws holding the gearbox to the motor. You will have to take out all the planetary sections. The shaft is attached to the last planetary section. The tricky part will be to make a new shaft that attaches to the planetary gear plate. In most cases that is a splined shaft press fit into the gear plate.

Katie
    Participant

Sorry, I should have specified. I have the right angle gear motor, would that make any difference?

Thanks!

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Yes, it makes a huge difference. The right angle ones are a piece of cake. We have lengthened them several times. You just need to remove the old shaft and slide in a new one. It think its retained with a couple c-clips and the bevel gear is held on with a set screw. Just use lock collars on you new shaft to retain it unless you have a lathe and can put in c-clip grooves.

Katie
    Participant

Thank you! Any recommendations on where to buy a longer drive shaft?

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Any metal supply company will have 4mm shaft. mcmaster carr is easy, not always the best price but quick and easy part look up etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account