This topic has 8 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 11 months ago by SuperDroid.

• Author
     SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Someone recently asked:
    “Will the ATR Wheel and Shaft Set Pair 8mm bore – 10 inch Traction Lug TD-163-008 work with the IG42 24VDC 340 RPM Gear Motor-TD-016-340? It will be connected to a 2×12 Sabertooth Motor Controller.”

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

Not 4WD Skid Steer. The IG42 motors will not have enough torque. We recommend 75RPM with the traction lug tires or 122RPM under light duty. It takes a huge amount of torque to turn a robot with these tires using a skid steer system. If you do 2WD it may be OK. Please see https://sdrobots.com/forums/topic/how-to-size-a-motor/

Ralph Hipps
    Participant

I have the same 10 inch tires:
    https://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx/atr-wheel-and-shaft-set-pair-8mm-bore-10-inch-traction-lug/1995/

from what I can tell even though my bot will be light (10 lbs or so) the IG32 or IG32P motors are not going to cut it, but can you provide any guidance on that or results from past experience?

IG42 is the next step up, but I don’t see any 12 V motors there, only 24 V. Is it possible to get 12 V IG42 motors? In particular I’d prefer right angle with encoder, if possible.

Ralph Hipps
    Participant

I should add, this will be a 2WD bot, with a tail caster, so no need for skid steering.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

The IG42 78 RPM would be the best bet. if you need it faster you should be fine with he 122RPM. The 240 RPM will probably work with 2WD if you have to go so fast. There is a speed calculator on our how to build a robot support page. We do not have any 12V IG42 motors.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

The IG42 78 RPM would be the best bet. if you need it faster you should be fine with he 122RPM. The 240 RPM will probably work with 2WD if you have to go so fast. There is a speed calculator on our how to build a robot support page. We do not have any 12V IG42 motors.

Ralph Hipps
    Participant

thanks, great feedback!

lastly, would it be workable to run the 24 V IG42 motors from 12 V? I believe somewhere on your site I read that they’ll barely turn or something, not sure how bad it really is. Thinking about 78 RPM, maybe 122 tops, 2WD, etc.

in the end I’ll just buy & test something, hoping to narrow it down so I don’t buy too many motors I can’t use. =)

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

They will run on 12V. However, P=IV. You cut V in half, your power goes in half.

SuperDroid
    Keymaster

should add just to point out the obvious, but if you run 1/2 the volts, you speed will be about 1/2 or maybe less depending on the load.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account