This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 11 months ago by boombaby31.

• Author
     ML
    Participant

I am building a mower unit and am following the information provided on the Lawn Mower Chassis Upfit Robot Package – IG52 DB. I have a few general questions in getting started. If I use the Sabertooth Dual 32A Motor Driver, is it capable of remote and autonomous operation or would I need a different driver to include autonomous operation? The next question would be concerning the motor. Probably a bit hypothetical because I plan to follow your design, but if I changed the size of the tires (made them larger) or wanted the machine to move a little faster, does that generally mean I would be looking for different reduction ratios other than what you’ve established for this unit or is there enough flexibility in the numbers of the gearmotors for changes like this?

boombaby31
    Participant

I’d recommend reading some of the support pages before getting started, the How to Build a Robot page in particular:

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/custom.aspx/how-to-build-a-robot/70/#mc

Other support pages can be found here:

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/custom.aspx/support/1/

The Sabertooth 2×32 needs an input to tell the motors to drive. This input is usually from a microcontroller or RC receiver. Autonomous control is very involved and requires using sensors and a lot of programming. It can be done, but you’ll need a lot more than just a motor controller. We sell some sensors and controllers but you’ll be on your own for the most part.

As for speed, you’ll probably want to stick to similar wheel size and RPM motors as what we have. Making the wheels bigger will make to robot faster but it also makes the motors work harder, and eventually they will burn up if you work them too hard. Changing the gear reduction or using different RPM motors to make it faster will effectively do the same thing. Unless you plan on using bigger motors, I would stick to the specs that we have in our robot.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login Register

©2024 SDRobots.com | All rights reserved.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account